[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring version

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 14:57:37 PDT 2011

I've just been looking at the statement -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyJLxI9dciXBbowM5mougnbGHzkL3Ue1QkD8nnMwWLg/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1#

I think overall it's pretty good, but there are a couple of things I thought I'd
mention. It seems to repeat itself:

"Four of the counting methods that we agree would produce significantly better
results compared to plurality voting are, in alphabetical order:"

And then:

"Yet most of us also agree that we will support the adoption of any of the
supported methods, namely, in alphabetical order:"

followed by the same list. I think that it can therefore be shortened a bit. I
think it can probably also be shortened elsewhere, but it depends on how long
you think is reasonable for it to be.

Also in the second list it individually lists the Condorcet methods. It also
says "the Condorcet methods" implying that it is an exhaustive list. But anyway,
I don't think it is probably necessary to list them at all.

Also, and I think this has been mentioned, it refers to election-method experts,
and that may put some of us off signing.