[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring version

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Aug 25 13:48:19 PDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Peter Zbornik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I aggree it would be good to make a separate statement for
> proportional election methods.

Agreed.  Need something brief here that some of us promote such for
such as legislatures and are working on a separate effort for this.

> Some other comments for the record:
>
> Looking at single-winner elections
> 1) What about multiple round single-winner methods? For instance the
> Brittish conservatives vote on who to eliminate each round . The
> candidate with the least number of votes is eliminated, using only
> bullet voting. So far, as I have understood, the only disadvantage
> with such an election system is many election rounds.

Only need a few words here, if any - seems like this might be done
with Approval, whatever may get done for other elections.

Primary elections should be workable with whatever is done for the
main election (minimize related costs - or perhaps with something
simpler).  Still, how much need for primaries if main election can
tolerate multiple candidates from any one party.

> 2) All of the endorsed methods could be improved by simply letting
> the top two contenders meet in a second round. Tactical voting might
> lead to changes in preference orderings between the rounds and thus
> to improved results by introducting a second round.

Plurality needs to have a second round since its voters sometimes need
to, but cannot, vote for more than one in the main election.  With
better voting methods second rounds are less needed, and ARE an
expense for all, including the voters.

Agreed that making second rounds standard could have improved results
- unless it cost too much and voters react in a less than useful way.

> 3) what about the option "None of the above", the blank vote, are we
> neutral to this option? I certainly think this option is good and
> important.
      When is this a useful addition?

Argue again that Condorcet should be considered a single method here -
and something said about such as cycles existing, though not
necessarily what to do about them.

Claim that what I wrote about simplifying Condorcet voting August 24,
2011 3:05:19 PM EDT needs to be seen by more at this point.

Dave Ketchum