[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring version

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Aug 24 11:13:51 PDT 2011

Your implication (at the bottom of your message) that our goal should be
to create something that is "supported by all members" is impractical.
(As we know, a consensus requirement easily leads to a dictatorship by
someone "holding out" for their favorite "cause".)

I agree with Jameson Quinn that we should try to "write a statement,
then see who objects to what."  Already that approach is revealing new
information. The key word is "try".  If we don't succeed and very few
people want to sign it, then we have still learned a lot.

I am interested in your specific feedback about what you like and
dislike about the declaration.  If you dislike most of the declaration,
then I encourage you to do what I did in response to the previous
declaration, which is to write an alternate version.

Richard Fobes