[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring version

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Wed Aug 24 09:57:19 PDT 2011

If one wishes to "distribute a formal statement of the election-method
principles that we agree upon.", would it not be wise to start by
finding out which principles command agreement?

Perhaps it would be better to take one step back and jointly define the
principles before attempting a formal statement.  One possibility might
start something like this:

Electoral Method Principles:

* Principles express a consensus.

* No principle has primacy over another principle.

* Any principle can be challenged by rational argument.

Principles of human interaction:

* The interactions between humans is known as politics.

* The scope of politics is immense.

* The immensity of politics requires organization.

* The first step of forming an organization is to define its
   principles.

Principles of government:

* The people have the right to define their government.

* The Electoral Method must implement government by the people.

* Government by the people means that every individual in the
   society can participate in the political process to the full
   extent of the individual's desire and ability.

It is not my place to list the principles for this board, except as an
example, so the foregoing is merely a suggested outline. Participants in
the discussion must define the principles important to them, and should
do so before attempting a formal statement alleged to be supported by
all members.

Fred Gohlke