[EM] the "meaning" of a vote (or lack thereof)

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Tue Aug 23 13:47:12 PDT 2011

On Aug 21, 2011, at 5:06 PM, Warren Smith wrote:

> Kenneth Arrow has worried that range-voting-type "score" votes might have no or
> unclear-to-Arrow "meaning."  In contrast, he considers rank-ordering-style
> votes to have a clear meaning.
> Nic Tideman has also expressed similar worries in email, but now about
> the "lack of meaning" of an approval-style vote.
> In contrast, I think Tideman regards a plurality-style "name one
> candidate then shut up"
> vote as having a clear meaning.
>
> E.g. "what does a score of 6.5 mean, as opposed to a score of 6.1, on
> some ballot?"
>
> But the Bayesian view is: whether or not Arrow or Tideman or somebody
> has a more-or-less muddled mental notion of the "meaning" of a ballot,
> is irrelevant.   The only genuinely meaningful thing is "who won the
> election?"
> All meaning of any ballot therefore derives purely from the rules
> for mathematically obtaining the election-winner from the ballots.

Arrow would not, I think, quarrel with the claim that a cardinal ballot has a pragmatic/operational "meaning" as a function of its use in determining a winner.

But but it's an unwarranted leap from that claim to use the ballot scores as a measure of utility. Arrows objection to cardinal scores, or one of them, is that they are not and cannot be commensurable across voters.