[EM] Voting reform statement - new draft, please give opinions

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Aug 22 20:50:16 PDT 2011

whoops, forgot to send to the list...

On 8/22/11 8:28 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> That's an argument of why Condorcet is a good system. What I was
> asking for was an argument of why Condorcet is more likely to be
> implemented, and/or less likely to be repealed, than Approval.
well, sorta you're right (in that i got sidetracked a little).

about 1. and 2a.  i tried to make the case why Condorcet is less likely
to get repealed than *anything* else (IRV, Bucklin, Borda, Approval,
Range), because i think that cycles will be rare and if a CW exists, no
one will be able to claim that the election would have turned out any
different if their guy ran up the CW in a two-candidate race and the old
rules of simple majority and one-person-one-vote.

about 2. i don't wanna do nothing.  but we have experienced here in
Burlington a vitriolic (even if by a thin majority) throwback and i
dunno how, anytime soon after IRV was introduced, failed, and then
rejected, that a voting reform that is incompatible with the simple
mantra of "simple majority" and "one person one vote" will get any
traction at all.  there is a thin hope that educating reasonable folk
that were on both sides of the IRV debate that (assuming a CW) that
ranked-choice decided by a Condorcet-compliant rule (and it better be
simple, like either ranked pairs or minimax) continues to be compatible
with the old system in the 2-candidate case (where we all agree who the
winner is).

all we're doing differently is requiring the voter to make up their
minds about their contingency vote (who they would vote for in the case
of a delayed runoff) by Election Day.  then Condorcet is compatible with
the old way and we're not asking voters to abandon their cherished
values of "simple majority" and "one person one vote".  so, unless
something pathological (like a cycle) is impending, how are voters
burdened with a different strategy than they would have normally with a
simple-majority race?  (the strategy being "vote sincerely".)

but Approval and Range require more and ask the voters to abandon either
their expressivity they would get with a ranked ballot or require too
much expressivity than the voter cares to deliver.  besides being no fun
(of being able to say "Ra! Ra! Ra!" to your favorite candidate, among
other approved candidates), Approval requires strategizing over whether
or not to vote for one's second or third choices.  Range requires the
voter to (in the case of sincere voting) estimate how much more they
like or hate some candidate over some other (rather than the simpler
decision that they would vote for some candidate over some other).
that's a chore (and a lot of voter's will no do that chore).  in the
case of insincere (strategic) voting, no voter will discard any "juice"
that he or she gets with his/her franchise.  they have to decide how
they will spend their marbles and no one will want to be a 1/2 vote.  if
their only marking "10" (or whatever is full scale), Range degenerates
to Approval (and Approval degenerates to FPTP if not forsaking your
favorite candidate is salient).  Range is about as strategy-free as the
board game called "Risk".

> Earlier you said why Approval being implemented and repealed would be
> bad. But that does not support Condorcet over Approval unless
> Condorcet is less likely to be repealed. I don't see that.

so, without using the Condorcet cycle as a horror story (that's another
argument which is where we debate which Condorcet method is better), how
is it that Condorcet, once adopted, will suffer the "elected wrong
candidate" debacle which will motivate a successful repeal effort?

but i can see Approval and Range getting shot down (and with them, other
voting reform efforts) in committee before ever being considered by a
legislative body.  except, perhaps in some jurisdictions where they put
judges and other non-partisan candidates (perhaps school board) up for
election or retention.  i could see Approval used in those cases, but
not for partisan public office like executive or legislative seats.

> And I certainly see Approval as more likely to be implemented;

i know, and i see it oppositely (except maybe for the "non-partisan"
races i alluded to above).  we (ranked-choice advocates) educate voters
on how it is compatible with the old way rather than educating them with
a whole different decision-making method.  before they had to figure out
which candidate they like better and that is unchanged with the ranked
ballot (and Condorcet is the pairwise-consistent tabulation).  with
Approval we have to educate voters on how they are going to have to
decide to vote when they like their second choice, just not as much as
their first.  and with Range, we have to educate voters on how they are
going to further evaluate the candidate they like better as to how much
better.  what is the answer you'll give voters you are educating about
Approval or Range who ask such questions?

> it can unite more reformers and is simpler (especially once you get
> into arguments between Condorcet systems).

*which* Condocet system is a good debate to have after having the
*whether* Condocet debate (in the public sphere).  otherwise "which" is
sorta moot.  in the meantime, let the eggheads debate the "which" and
provide the public with a digested answer or choice.

i would love it if the legislature was considering Condocet (any
Condorcet) to the point they started to thrash out whether to adopt
Schulze or Tideman or Simpson.

bestest,

r b-j

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com