[EM] Voting reform statement - new draft, please give opinions

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Aug 22 17:05:19 PDT 2011

Well, to repeat a little of what i mailed you earlier, Jameson:

while i may agree with Laslier of the possible truth in fact:  "if 49% of the population strongly prefer A to B and 51% slightly prefer B to A, I think that A is collectively preferable" (it *is* ostensibly utilitarian), if one could consistently (for comparison between individuals) and reliably measure individual strength of preference.  sure, we can ask them, but every franchised voter is a person of equal worth and everyone's vote is private, everyone can bring their own motivations (including unjust motivations like racial prejudice or debatably justified motivations like religious belief) into the voting booth and express those motives on a secret ballot. no voter can be compelled to reduce their political worth for which they have equal franchise to.  so i would fully disagree with the translation of what i think that Laslier is pointing to: "if 49% of the electorate strongly prefer A to B and 51% slightly prefer B to A, the A should be elected"

no voter should be made to, and i don't even thing *asked* to, voluntarily reduce the weight their electoral franchise.  every person's vote must be of equal value. no voter should be able to "multiply" the effect of their vote (say, by voting twice) which is the fundamental principle behind "one-person-one-vote".  it's gonna be pretty hard to get people to part with that principle.

presently people are using the two fundamental principles of "Simple Majority" (whatever the hell *that* means, but they all agree what it means for a 2-candidate election) and "one-person-one-vote" to prop up their nearly religious belief that nothing other than a traditional single-vote ballot decided either by FPTP or to-two- runoff.  i see no hope of accomplishing voter reform that will be challenged or associated with abandoning either of those two principles.

only Condorcet (assuming a Condorcet winner) can be laid against the template of "Simple majority" and "one-person-one-vote" and decide the election *consistently* with every hypothetical race between two candidates.  what IRV sorta claimed; that it's equivalent to the old way, but applies the old rules automatically (IRV and Condorcet or any ranked-choice agree that the only meaning to racking A above B is that this voter would vote for A in traditional two-person race between A and B). this justifies some people's support for IRV where it is opaque to every choice a voter has below the first choice, until their first choice is eliminated and some other choice is promoted.

but it's really Condorcet that accomplishes doing it the old way, but using the "technology" of requiring of every voter to make up their minds (as if that is such a hardship - to make up your mind about the election by Election Day) about contingency votes (which is what the ranked ballot does, but the Range and Approval ballots do something else).

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com