[EM] Voting reform statement - method of consensus drafting

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 06:23:51 PDT 2011

I appreciate the idea, and I think it has promise. Having just logged in and
"patched" my statement to equal yours, though, I think that the process is
still too complicated for a not-explicitly-techie audience. For instance,
even I (a relatively savvy guy; for instance, a regular user of git and
github) can't figure out how to vote for "my" own version. And besides the
generally-easier interface, google docs has wysiwyg, and comments.

So, I'm really sorry, I know that there's a lot of work there, and if it
worked out, the idea of putting diffs into emails is a good one... but I'm
going to have to say, I still consider the Google Docs
version<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyJLxI9dciXBbowM5mougnbGHzkL3Ue1QkD8nnMwWLg/edit?hl=en_US>as
the official one. I've put your suggested changes in there.

We can also copy from the google docs "view history" to paste diffs here.
For instance, the first of your suggested changes:

The study of voting systems has made significant progress over the last
decade
, and our understanding is even farther beyond what it was 20 years ago. One
important place where that has happened is on the election methods mailing
list.

I understand that that will not fully work for those with text-only email,
and does not provide a url with patch buttons. So I still think that when
you smooth out the interface, your system will be better than Google Docs in
important ways. But...

Sorry,
Jameson