[EM] School of election science on Wikiversity

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 10 18:27:07 PDT 2011

At 12:08 PM 8/10/2011, Raph Frank wrote:
>I notice it is hosted by the wikimedia foundation.  I assume the idea
>is that it is a new clean slate?
>
>Is there any difference in functionality compared to wikipedia, or is
>it still the same underlying software?

The software is the same, MediaWiki. It's hosted by the WikiMedia
Foundation. It isn't particularly new, it was started originally on
Wikibooks, but spun off something like 2006.

Having edited both Wikipedia and Wikiversity, extensively, it's
almost identical. There are templates that may exist on one wiki that
don't on the other, but then one can create the templates... And,
very important, Wikiversity allows subpages in mainspace, unlike Wikipedia.

Wikiversity is for "educational resources," and that is very broadly
construed, in practice.