[EM] hybrid 2-stage and 1-stage Bayesian Regret for comparing multiwinner election systems

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 09:33:02 PDT 2011

> All your other knobs are input knobs, no? The #candidates, #winners,
> utility generation models and parameters, etc., specify what kind of
> data is run through the voting methods (and subsequent utility
> determination function), whereas the weight-knob is an adjustment of the
> (combined) utility function itself.
>
> So it would seem to be a quite different sort of knob. Adjusting it
> would be similar to adjusting 1-stage BR between, say, mean utility and
> worst utility (maximin).

--I don't agree that it is a "different" kind of knob.  It's just another knob.
Your claim the others are "input" knobs is an arbitrary judgment by you, and
I can regard at least some of them as "not input" equally validly/arbitrarily.

I also don't agree that maximin utility should be of interest.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking