[EM] [RangeVoting] Re: Range Voting As an Issue

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Aug 4 18:16:15 PDT 2011

Here I talk of moving up from FPP to Range or Condorcet.  I do not get
into other single-winner elections or into multi-winner elections -
while such deserve considering, they distract from my primary goal,
which is to promote moving upward without getting buried in details.

Voters should see advantages in moving up to a better method.

To vote for one, as in FPP:
.     In Range, assign your choice a maximum rating.
.     In Condorcet, simply rank your choice.

Voting for two is using more power than FPP offers.  Often there is a
major pair of candidates for which you prefer one, and one other that
you also want to vote for:  For your second choice you could give the
same rank or rating, or lower:
.     In Range you assign first choice maximum rating.  Unrated share
minimum.  The farther you rate second below max, the stronger your
vote for max over second.  BUT, the nearer you rate second to unrated,
the weaker you rate second over unrated.
.     In Condorcet, rank your first choice higher than your second.

Voting for more is doable:
.     In Range your difference in rating between any two is how much
you prefer the higher over the lower, and the sum of these differences
decides which wins their race.
.     In Condorcet they count how many rank A>B vs how many rank B>A.

Politicians may hesitate in moving up to more powerful methods.  Range
or Condorcet can cost more, but getting a truer reading as to voter
choices can be worth the pain.

Dave Ketchum