[EM] Andy's Question

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 02:44:20 PDT 2011

One can model these questions also as requirements of the society. Different elections could have different targets. Maybe it is possible to give a list of possible parameters that can be used to determine what those needs are.

The society could try to maximize the sum of utilities, to to maximize the smallest utility and/or to keep all the utilities at the same level. One could also have some balanced mixture of such requirements.

If the election will decide which movies will be shown in television, and the method elects {A, B, C} (with the original votes below), then the AC voters will get 2 good movies to watch, and they will thus get more than the AD voters (1 movie). If the election picks toys for a kindergarten then AC voters must share toy A with 60 kids and toy C with 40 kids. Their expected utility can be estimated to be 1/60 + 1/40 while the utility of AD voters is 1/40. If the election picks hotels to sleep in for next night, then both AC and AD voters will get utility 1.

Also strategies tend to have an impact on what kind of methods societies use. Majority rule is a common approach. In the discussed example the latter voter could be an example of free riding.

With these considerations I mainly want to point out that it depends quite lot on the election in question how good choices {A, B, C} and {C, D, E} are. The needs of the society may thus determine what criteria we should respect.

The formulation of the "envy free" criterion that you presented is maybe not quite perfect yet.

> "If, when electing n winners, it is possible to divide the electorate into n groups of between one and two Droop quotas each, and each of these groups approves of a candidate that no other group approves of, then those n candidates should win."

Let's say that we want to pick two winners with the vote set below.

40 AC
10 AD
50 BD

Does the criterion say that we should pick B and C? (and maybe the others too) Should the groups sum up to 100 or do 40 AB and 50 CD form a valid set of groups?

Are both {A, B} and {C, D} valid and required results?

Juho