[EM] MCA on electowiki

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 00:19:51 PDT 2010

In case you're wondering about a real example of MCA-P failing participation
(and, in fact, mono-add-top), here it is. Situation before:

1 vote: A>B
1 vote: C>B
1 vote: D>B
1 vote: E
1 vote: F
1 vote: A

No majorities, so, since it's MCA-*P*, the highest *P*reference wins; that's
A. (Exactly 50% isn't a majority. If it were, you could just add one G vote
to the example.)

Now, add another A>B vote. A still isn't preferred by a majority (only 3/7),
but B now has a majority approval (4/7). So B wins.

Two points about this example: it took a lot of candidates, carefully
balanced; and the participation-violating final A>B vote was unstrategically
extending approval. Simple strategy says that if you prefer one frontrunner,
you shouldn't approve the other one; so the voters must not have known the
true frontrunners.

Yes, it's still unfortunate. But I'd bet that if you model how frequently in
any given random elections model some voters would have reason to regret
their participation, it would be somewhere well under 5%, probably under 2%;
and any foreknowledge and strategy would tend to reduce that number even
further.

JQ