[EM] Paper By Ron Rivest (fsimmons at pcc.edu)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 06:08:42 PST 2010

The "DSV fix" doesn't just have philosophical problems. It has practical
ones. For the first ballots, you are essentially begging the voters to
strategize, to the point where the supposedly-optimal DSV algorithm in the
second ballot becomes a hopeless patsy. In particular, I suspect that (with
"rational" voters), burial would be so common in the first ballot that DH3
would be common. Then, in an election between A,B,C, and Hitler, whichever
one of A, B, or C was most likely to rank above Hitler among the tiny
fraction of voters who honestly find Hitler palatable, would win. That is a
horrible result.

Let me propose, as a straw man, another system - "Sicilian DSV". You submit
1 range ballot, and a non-negative integer, your "recursive strategy level".
>From this, the system calculates two ballots - "strategic" and honest - for
a "fixed DSV". If your recursive strategy level is 0, these two ballots are
the same. Otherwise, for RSL n, the strategic ballot is calculated as
optimal if all other voters choose RSL n-1.

Never vote against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

BUT - after the election, the RSL distribution for each candidate's voters
would be published. Presumably, parties which used non-zero RSLs to win,
would lose support in later elections, because people prefer honesty.

Obviously, this system involves absurd algorithms and a lot of computation.
(It might actually be low-order polynomial; I don't know. But if so, it
would have a high constant factor.)

Food for thought....
JQ