[EM] Fair and Democratic versus Majority Rules

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Nov 16 08:57:21 PST 2010

At 08:57 AM 11/16/2010, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>Condorcet doesn't give proportional representation. If you have an
>example like:
>
>51: D1 > D2 > D3 > D4
>49: R1 > R2 > R3 > R4
>
>and pick the first four, all the Ds will win.

Just for fun, suppose this is STV, to elect 5 seats. Accurate
proportionality is not possible, but it can get close. I will assume
acccurate vote transfers. As an exercise, I will use the Hare quota,
20 votes, and then look at what Asset would do.

This turns, below, into a general discussion of Asset Voting, which
was originally proposed as a tweak on STV, in 1883, by Lewis Carroll
(Charles Dodgson).

The seats chosen are:

1. D1.
2. R1
3. D2
4. R2

leaving

11: D3 > D4
9: R3 > R4

Nobody has a quota for the fifth seat. This is why the Droop quota is
used in most implementations of STV. But let's go back to Dodgson's idea.

D1 now owns 11 votes that remain, and R1 owns 9. If they can agree,
they can elect a seat. If they cannot agree, my proposal for the
rules is that the seat is vacant until they do, or until a special
election is held. I think that leaving the seat open may be superior
to a special election, but if a special election is held, it should
be one that would find a compromise candidate. It should not be IRV!
It should not be a partisan election, party affiliation should not be
on the ballot, my opinion.

Note this: generally it requires an assembly majority to elect a
chair, and the chair has a tiebreaker vote, only votes if there is a
tie. To elect a chair, the members must agree, at least one person
from one faction must agree with both from the other.

It is, in fact, very precise proportional representation, given the
full rules involved. They can agree on a fifth seat, creating someone
perceived as fair and neutral, who can break ties, or they can elect
a chair who will do the same. The best course, overall, is to do
both, because, then, if a member is missing for some reason,
tiebreaking by a fair and neutral chair remains.

Effectively, they elect two persons perceived as neutral or moderate
to help them when they are deadlocked.

STV with a Hare quota, as described, is rigorously proportional. With
the Droop quota, we end up 3:2 in the assembly, which is
substantially more power for the Ds than the votes represented.

Full-on asset voting is even better, and can be accurate no matter
what the number of voters and seats to be elected is. If direct
voting by electors is allowed, it can be effectively proportional
even if only two or three seats are elected!

What is the difference between asset voting, with direct elector
voting allowed, and direct democracy or pure delegable proxy, open
meeting? It's the election of seats that have full participation
rights, so the assembly can be small enough for practical
deliberation. In other words, Asset, even if direct voting by
electors is allowed, retains the necessary value of representative
democracy. Electors, I assume, under assembly rules, would not be
able to introduce motions or to debate them. But they could still
vote, if they care to. They would not ordinarily vote, I believe,
because it would mostly be a waste of time. But not a waste because
it would have no value, but because, usually, their position would be
represented well enough by those they elected, already. The direct
voting allows for exceptions.

Once Asset is in place, even as a tweak to STV/Hare, voters will come
to realize that they can vote for *anyone* who makes themselves
available for the ballot, and is allowed on the ballot. (Or
write-ins, if allowed.) The process will become far less predictable,
and, in this case, that's good. The people can actually and
effectively speak, through chosen representatives, chosen without opposition.

STV/Droop would also work with Asset. It is important to keep the
quota fixed. I.e., the counting process should seek the PR equivalent
of an absolute majority, not a majority of unexhausted votes. If all
candidates have been ranked -- as Australia requires -- then the
election will complete. It is also possible that full-ranking ballots
from all candidates could be collected before the election, and used
to determine the last seat(s), that would be part of being a
candidate, and would be published before the election.

That has an interesting consequence. Voters can just vote for their
candidate, and know exactly how their vote will be treated. But if
they disagree with their favorite, they can modify the sequence.
Their vote will count either way, it gives them absolute freedom.

In full-on, open ballot Asset, I'd require registration of candidates
in any case. There will be huge numbers of them, eventually. In
essence, anyone can become an elector, a public voter, by
registering, which should be cheap, the registration fee should cover
listing of the name in a pamphlet available to voters, giving names,
minimal information about the candidate (like town of residence), the
approval of a political party if relevant, in the pamphlet, which
would not be expensive per candidate. I'd be astonished if it were
over $10. Then, as a voter, if you have registered as an eligible
elector, you can insure your becoming one by voting for yourself.
Probably using a unique code that would be printed in the ballot and
with ballot design allowing easy reading of the vote, even though
there might be thousands of possibilities.

For continuity with present practice, I'd have the ballot still allow
candidate names, of candidates who specially qualify, and I might
even allow that to be a relatively small number, perhaps no more than
twice the number of seats to be elected plus one. But, then, there
would be an open voting position allowing entry of the elector code

It might be required for electors to cast a separate, identified
ballot before the election. This would be used in the event that the
elector becomes unavailable. Another possibility, to address possible
security concerns under some conditions, would be to require that
electors, to be able to participate further, would need to obtain a
certain minimum number of votes. But I won't address that here, and
would only recommend this where widespread vote coercion was a real
possibility. The number should be large enough that it is
economically efficient to provide all such electors with police
protection. Being an elector, though, requires bravery. If it's that
difficult, voters should agree privately to support a single person,
and give that person their power, and that person, through a
proxy-like process or ballot as mentioned, designates effective successors.

True proportional representation is needed to allow an elected
assembly to negotiate serious social divisions. A majoritarian
government can be a disaster in those circumstances. Majoritarian
systems in the U.S. led to the Civil War, a huge disaster, and one
which, contrary to common perception, did not resolve the issues
raised by slavery. Lysander Spooner was right (strongly against
slavery, strongly against the war), and most countries managed to
address and eliminate slavery without civil war.

Genuine democracy is about trying to find a way for everyone to win.
Majority rule is inferior to that (hence the common perception among
range voting advocates that range's MC failure is an asset, not a
defect), but remains superior to minority rule. The key is to allow
intelligent participation in deliberative process, which is never
fixed in outcome to a limited set of predetermined choices.

(Requiring supermajorities for decisions always leads to effective
minority rule when the status quo favors a minority. That is why
majority rule remains important as a deciding principle. Standard
deliberative process generally requires supermajorities to end
debate, so it does seek more than simply majority rule, it takes care
to see that there has been adequate discussion. But the majority
remains able to decide, in an emergency, to cut off debate. That's
quite dangerous, which is why, in the U.S. Senate, this is called the
"nuclear option." It is widely known as a hazard. The restraint is
under attack, for partisan reasons. If the cloture rule is going to
be dismantled, we would be moving toward pure majority rule, which is
unstable.)