[EM] Fair and Democratic versus Majority Rules

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Nov 16 08:43:06 PST 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> For seats in legislative bodies, proportional representation.
>> for which STV or a more Condorcet-like ordering (what would the
>> name of that be? Kristofer Munsterhjelm had a Schulze ordering for
>> Oakland) does well. here in Vermont we just had an election where
>> for my state senate district, we voted for 6 out of about 15 and
>> the top 6 vote getters win seats, but that method sorta sucks.
>
> Condorcet doesn't give proportional representation. If you have an
> example like:
>
> 51: D1 > D2 > D3 > D4
> 49: R1 > R2 > R3 > R4
>
> and pick the first four, all the Ds will win.

good point.  maybe STV would be better for proportionality.

>> for me, if it's a single winner: "If a majority of voters select
>> Candidate A over Candidate B then, if at all possible, Candidate B
>> should not be elected" is the only sensible rule, because of the
>> converse is so clearly contrary to the concept of the will of the
>> majority.  Any method that cannot be guaranteed to accomplish that
>> risks the question: e.g. "Why should Bob Kiss be the mayor of
>> Burlington when 587 more voters expressed on their ballots that
>> they thought Andy Montroll was a better choice?".
>> i think you can argue that Condorcet compliant is always preferable
>> out of point by contradiction.  if there is a CW and you elect
>> someone else, that is always a failure.
>
> I think counterarguments would make use of that the majorities are
> not necessarily the same. Those who see no point in Condorcet would
> say: "if the leftists prefer A to B and the right-wingers prefer A
> to C, that's still short of majority rule".

so let's pick B or C even though a majority of voters (neither
specifically left or right) vote that A is the better choice over
either B or C.  the reason why Condorcet (assuming a CW exists) is the
democratic choice has nothing to do with left or right political
alignment.  the problem with electing someone other than the CW is
that we, the voters, by a majority have expressed that we want the
CW.  otherwise, why not use random chance, or just give the election
to the *minority* candidate?

here's a fundamental philosophical question: why is it better, even in
a two-candidate race, to elect the majority winner?  why not have
rules that we elect the minority candidate?  (i have my own answers,
but i would be interested in reading some others.)

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com