[EM] breakdown of Oakland mayor ballots

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Nov 13 18:46:40 PST 2010

Actually, "differs from plurality" is not a sure indication of failure
for ranked voting - either IRV or Condorcet.

For Plurality, voter can name only ONE candidate.

For ranking, voter can vote for more than one, perhaps ranking most
desired over more gettable.
      Condorcet will use all that is in the ballot.
      IRV will discard some, use the top of what is left, and never
see the bottom of what is left.

So, three different methods each seeing parts of the voter's ballot.
My guess is that the top of the IRV ballot is what the voter is
presumed to have chosen in Plurality.

Dave Ketchum