[EM] breakdown of Oakland mayor ballots

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Nov 13 09:55:46 PST 2010

This reads as a valuable demonstration of the value of Condorcet.

Here we have the pro- & anti- Perata halves of Oakland competing.  If
they win, the anti-Perata half are also competing as to their minor
differences.

This is only intelligent competition, NOT gaming.

In IRV, order of processing the same ballots would differ.  First
decide which half of the top rank of the antis wins the right for
total antis to compete with pro-Peratas.

Since they had more top ranks, they are likely stronger as total
antis, but this is only odds, not certainty.

Agreed Perata would have won in Plurality BECAUSE voters cannot
express their desires as completely there.

Dave Ketchum