[EM] Why I Think Sincere Cycles are Extremely Unlikely in Practice

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sat Nov 13 01:37:52 PST 2010

robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Juho wrote:
>
>> Sincere cycles are probably not very common in real elections. There
>> have already been many ranked ballot based elections with reasonably
>> sincere ballots, but at least I'm not aware of any top level cycles in
>> them.
>
> i haven't examined other jurisdictions running STV (or "IRV" or "RCV" or
> whatever you draw from the alphabet soup), but the two elections we had
> in Burlington VT (in 2006 and 2008) using IRV indicated no cycle at any
> level.  there was a clear CW and then if you remove that candidate from
> the race, there was another clear CW with the remaining candidates (who
> i would call the runner-up), and again if you removed that 2nd-placer.
> both elections were perfectly ordered in a Condorcet fashion from the CW
> to the CL.  the only remarkable note was that in 2009, the CW didn't
> make it to the IRV final round which is the only way for IRV to elect
> someone other than the CW.  in 2006 the CW, IRV winner, and plurality
> winner were all the same candidate and in 2009, they were three
> different people.
>
> i doubt that Condorcet cycles would be common if used in political
> elections because for the issues that matter the most and that motivate
> voters the most, it's a pretty clear spectrum from "left" to "right".
> relatively, just not very many Nader voters would choose Bush over Gore
> nor many Bush voters would choose Nader over Gore.

Plurality encourages a simple us-versus-them type of campaign since each
voter only has a first place vote. On the other hand, Condorcet lets
voters rank parties or candidates in any position, and the candidates
may benefit from being second of a lot rather than first of most.
Therefore, it would support a more detailed political space. If that is
the case, more than just the left-right spectrum could become of
importance to the voters - for instance, one might get not just
left-vs-right but local-vs-centralized. If the voters then judge
according to multiple axes, the chances of a cycle increase.

Do you think that is likely? It would be an effect that would show up
*after* Condorcet because the other methods can't reliably support such
a detailed political space. It might also require changes in how the
legislature is elected, as well, or otherwise the lack of variety there
would overpower the variety among single-winner candidates.