[EM] Documentation of Methods - Wow look at those insights about drawbacks

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 26 14:36:13 PDT 2010

One problem is that Wikipedia should not contain original research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research
). Many topics on the EM list fall in the original research category.
In principle one should first publish all new material in some
"reliable source" first (more reliable than the EM list, if there are
such places :-)) and then refer to those publications. In practice
maybe Wikipedia is not that strict, but I believe the Wikipedia
community doesn't want to e.g. recently invented and still unstable
elections methods to be published in Wikipedia. All stable stuff could
however go directly to Wikipedia.

The already mentioned http://wiki.electorama.com/ web page is also a
good place to store all the less stable material.

Elections as well as election method discussions are typically quite
competitive. For this reason election methods are not the easiest
topic to write in Wikipedia. But I hope people will give space to also
other ideas than their own and the ones that they want to promote, and
to the analysis of problems and benefits of each topic. A wiki style
approach with neutral text and clear sections to address all the
aspects would be a good approach. Many current EM related articles in
Wikipedia would benefit of such clearer and more uniform approach to
"Drawbacks of Various Methods" (and benefits).

I must say that there have been so many proposals on the EM list that
I have not been able to follow properly all the developments and I
can't remember all the proposals that have been made. Also here a wiki
style approach with good descriptions and classification of the
methods could be helpful.

Juho