[EM] The general form of Quick Runoff

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 23 23:56:43 PDT 2010

On May 23, 2010, at 5:14 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I realized that QR can be generalized for any number of candidates and
> still retain LNHarm, Plurality, and resistance to the usual type of
> burial strategy. To me this makes the method surprisingly good.
>
> The philosophy is to elect the candidate with the fewest first-
> preferences
> (think center-squeeze here) who has a very specific majority beatpath
> to the first-preference winner.
>
> Here is the new definition:
>
> 1. Rank the candidates. Truncation is allowed. Equal ranking is not
> planned for (but we could come up with something).
> 2. Label the candidates A, B, C, ... Z in descending order of first
> preference count.
> 3. Let the current leader be A.
> 4. While the current leader has a majority pairwise loss to the very
> next candidate, set the current leader to the latter candidate. (In
> other words step 4 must be repeated until there is no loss or no other
> candidates.)
> 5. Elect the current leader.

How about this example and LNH.

6: A>C
5: B>A
2: C>B
2: C

Candidate names indicate the order in first preferences. B beats A. C
beats B. C wins.

6: A>C
5: B>A
2: C>B
2: C>A

Two "C" voters have changed their vote to "C>A". B does not beat A. A
wins. The "C" voters were harmed when they included their later
preferences.

Juho