[EM] Why proportional elections - Power arguments needed (Czech green party)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sat May 22 05:02:38 PDT 2010

Peter Zbornik wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm
> <km-elmet at broadpark.no <mailto:km-elmet at broadpark.no>> wrote:

>     I may have given the link before, but I think it's a good graph
>     showing this tradeoff for a council of two candidates:
>     http://munsterhjelm.no/km/elections/multiwinner_tradeoffs/
>
>     Scroll down a little to see the results graph.
>
> Yes, your example is cool and gives food for thought.
> However some explanations might help.
> What is the Social optimum Pareto front? How do you calculate it? In
> what publication is "Social optimum Pareto front"

Since the voting simulator generates opinion data for every voter, it
can simply go through all possible councils and determine the
proportionality and satisfaction scores for each. Some of these councils
are bad (disproportional *and* have bad satisfaction) and some of them
are good.

Let me first define a few terms before I go on, because they're needed
in order to describe how the simulator determines the social optimum front.

The simulator works by going through a large number of rounds. In each
round, opinions are assigned to the voters and candidates, ballots
generated depending on this, and proportionality and satisfaction scores
determined for each method (in the manner I have shown earlier).
What is important is that you can consider any given council to have two
error scores associated with it: the disproportionality "score" and the
regret "score", and for both of these, greater is worse.

When determining the social optimum, the method doesn't just generate
councils by running the generated ballots through methods - it generates
all possible councils of the configuration given by the round. The idea
here is that one of these must clearly be the best, and in a 2D
situation where there's a tradeoff, some of the councils will form a
Pareto front.

Consider a council as "dominated" if there exists another council that
is better at either proportionality or regret, and the dominated council
isn't better than that council on either. (If one's more proportional
than the other, but the other has lower regret, neither is dominated)

Then the Pareto front for that round is simply those councils (out of
all possible) that are undominated.

However, the whole point of using multiple rounds is to average out
oscillations - to get a representative sample. Thus, we need some way of
augmenting the first round's Pareto front with the second's, so we get
the Pareto front had all councils from both rounds been considered. The
simulator does this in the following way:

The first round, we record the score pairs for all the councils on the
Pareto front.

At any later round, call the score pairs we've retained (i.e. not of
this round) a_1...a_n, and the score pairs of the Pareto front for this
round, b_1...b_k. Then we generate an estimate:
  for all i from 1 to n
   for all j from 1 to k
    c_i_j = a_i + b_j.

where Z = X + Y means "Z has disproportionality score equal to the sum
of X's and Y's, and has regret score equal to the sum of X's and Y's".

Now c contains the Pareto front for the previous rounds and this round
combined. All that remains is to remove the dominated score pairs from c
and move c to a so that the same thing can be done the next round.

-

In more simple terms, the simulator updates the Pareto front for all
previous rounds combined with the Pareto front for the current round,
then removes dominated councils. The number of points on that front
still grows very quickly, though, so it takes a long time and can only
be done for fewer rounds than the actual method testing.

The social optimum Pareto front then gives a barrier below which it's
impossible to go, at least for the particular situation given by the
parameters.

> On the page above, you write "Detailed data: election methods scores
> (Pareto front)" -What is the difference between the election methods
> scores and the Pareto front election data?

Not all methods lie on the Pareto front. For instance, the election
methods scores data includes a deliberately bad method:

Maj[Worst_Borda]     0.61001 0.99782

(last line), which has a normalized disproportionality of 0.61 and a
normalized regret of 0.99782, where 1 is worst possible. STV dominates
it handily:

STV                  0.11907 0.09529

and so that deliberately bad method isn't listed on the Pareto front,
nor is it part of the graph.

> What is normalized Bayesian regret for ranked list, how do you calculate
> it? Could you please give a simple example?

As I've said before, the generator gives every candidate and voter a
binary array that defines their positions on a certain number of yes/no
issues. Voters prefer candidates that are close to them: when a voter is
to rank candidates, then, for any given candidate, give the candidate
one point for each opinion the candidate and the voter has in common.
Finally, add some noise (mean about 1/100th of a point) to get around
the problem of equal rank.

This grants us both a ranking (greater score go first) and rating
(number of issues where the candidate and the voter agrees). The ideal
council in terms of Bayesian regret is then the one that consists of the
candidate the voters rated highest, the candidate they rated next to
highest, etc. To get the actual regrets, the simulator subtracts the
ideal sum from the ratings sum of the council that was actually elected.

Normalization works by that, for each round, the simulator also keeps
record of the rating sum for the worst and best councils. If a method
consistently elected bad councils, its sum over all rounds would be
close to the sum for the worst councils. Thus, we can map the sum for
the worst councils to 1, and for the best councils to 0, normalizing the
score to 0...1 no matter how many rounds were run.

I'll give a simple example for both. First, ordinary Bayesian regret.
Say that we have ballots of this sort:

100: A 20 pts, B 13 pts, C 10 pts, D 4 pts.
  80: C 20 pts, B 10 pts, A  5 pts, D 4 pts.
  20: D 20 pts, B 18 pts, A 13 pts, C 8 pts.

Then the sum ratings (utilities) are: