[EM] Range Voting in presence of partial information of a certain character

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 20 23:55:39 PDT 2010

On May 21, 2010, at 4:13 AM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> Thanks for the comments Kevin and Lomax.
>
> Let me start over in the same vein:
>
> Suppose that candidate X was just announced as the winning
> candidate, and no
> indication was given of how the other candidates fared in the range
> style election.
>
> How would you wish that you had voted your range ballot?
>
> Personally, I would be mostly satisfied with my ballot if I had
> given max
> support to everybody that I preferred over X, and no support for
> anybody I liked
> less than X.
>
> But what about X ?  I could say that since X was the winner, X
> probably didn't
> need my support, so I would wish that I had not supported X at all.
> But if
> everybody took this attitude, then everybody would regret their
> support for X,
> except those that preferred X over all of the other candidates.  And
> most likely
> X could not have won with support only from those who considered X
> as favorite.
>
> Suppose that due to some technicality the election had to be
> repeated.  Would
> you give any support to X this time around (still not knowing
> anything about how
> the other candidates fared) ?
>
> In my last message under this topic I suggested that perhaps the
> thing to do in
> the case of a sure or almost sure winner (when you know nothing
> about the
> chances of the other candidates) is to just give them your sincere
> rating.
>
> Sincere ratings can be constructed by asking questions like this:
> Would I
> prefer X to a lottery of 31%favorite+69%worst?  Suppose that the
> answer is yes,
> but when the same question is put with the percentages changed to 29
> and 71, my
> answer changes to no.  Then my natural rating for X would be about
> 30 percent.
>
> What is the point of all of this?   I'm looking for a DSV (Declared
> Strategy
> Voting) method that takes sincere natural ratings and converts them
> into
> strategic range ballots in such a way that when the winner is
> announced, the
> voters will be as satisfied as possible with the way the DSV handled
> their ballots.

In some sense Condorcet is a DSV method for Range. If X is about to
win then voters would like to cast a full one vote for all candidates
that I prefer over X and cast a full vote for X against all candidates
that I like less than X. In a Range ballot (and DSV) that could mean
rating X at 0 or max depending on if the second strongest is liked
less or more than X. If there is a Condorcet winner (X) then there is
a "stable" strategy in the sense that no matter who the second
strongest candidate is considered to be, X will win. Many voters (all
but first preference X supporters) still have an interest to rate X at
0 and all the more preferred candidates at max, but if that would make
one of the more preferred candidates win then there would be more
voters with (DSV) interest to reverse that change. Condorecet methods
would do all this automatically.

We lost all the preference strength information in the Condorcet
process but maybe this is unavoidable (in a highly competitive
environment). Or could there be a declared strategy (or some other
approach) where a voter would be happy to accept election of a
slightly less liked candidate if other voters have clearly stronger
preferences supporting some other outcome. Then we could make use of
the Range ratings (or of indicated strengths of the rankings, e.g.
strength. Maybe something like one indicated weak pairwise opinion to
be canceled (tie) for each corresponding strong opinion in the reverse
direction. (Such weak opinions could be used also to defend clones (or
a grouping or a wing). There was some discussion on this on the EM
list long time ago.)

Juho