[EM] Scenario where IRV and Asset outperform Condorcet, Range, Bucklin, Approval.

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 20 09:09:58 PDT 2010

Kristofer,

>Is it possible to make a two-candidate runoff at all so that the runoff
>passes mono-raise if the voters vote exactly as before?

The top two in the Ranked Pairs order should fill that bill for what its
worth.

>>/ A better 2-round scheme would be to have all the members of the Smith set eligible
>/>/ for the second round, which uses simple Approval.
>/
>Smaller sets might be better, but I'm not sure which are resistant
>against the strategy Jameson shows. Uncovered set? Dutta set? etc...

I forget what the Dutta set is. With the the Uncovered set, there may be
a theoretical mono-raise problem.

>One problem with Approval is that voters then have to have accurate poll
>data in order to run things like "frontrunner plus" or "LeGrand strategy
>A". Would this be less of a concern if the Approval is limited to the
>Smith set (or a smaller set contained in it), as it would for your
>runoff method?

I envisage that the voters would have the pairwise (and presumably also
the first-preferences) results from the
first round to guide their strategising.

One possibility is to use some algorithm that combines information from
both rounds, not necessarily simply electing
the second-round winner.

Chris Benham