[EM] Why proportional elections - Power arguments needed (Czech green party)

VoteFair at SolutionsCreative.com VoteFair at SolutionsCreative.com
Tue May 18 09:46:13 PDT 2010

Raph Frank wrote:
> Richard Fobes wrote:
> > As I've said before, it's difficult to get proportional
> > representation for more than the two main sub-groups

> That isn't true, PR methods are designed to do exactly
> that.  If a group represents 1/6 of the electorate, then
> they will get roughly 1/6 of the seats.

I neglected to clarify what I meant by "difficult."

Yes, it's possible to get high levels of proportionality
without identifying on the ballot which party or subgroup
the voter regards as most representative.  However, that
occurs at the expense of other fairness criteria, which I
regard as very significant, and possibly more important.

In particular, such a highly proportional method is more
likely to be vulnerable to strategic voting.  It's also
likely that the method would fail to meet various fairness
criteria.

Personally I regard resistance to strategic voting to be
very important, and it should not be neglected just to
achieve what on the surface appears to be highly
proportional results.

Another way to express this is to say that, as a voter, I
would rather choose to elect a competent leader whose
political views are slightly different than mine, rather
than elect a less-competent politician who claims to
represent the party I most prefer.

Richard Fobes