[EM] [ESF #1113] Another bullet vote argument

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu May 13 11:23:09 PDT 2010

I'm responding to a message posted to the ESF list and to the EM
list. Mr. Bristow-Johnson seems a tad confused.

At 12:35 PM 5/13/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

>well, i didn't realize i was joining a Range/Approval advocacy forum.
>i thought it was a little broader like the name of the forum
>suggests.  it needs to be renamed to "Range/Approval Voting Advocacy
>PAC".  rot's o' ruk getting your 501(c)3.

It is broader. But if one wants to participate in a group that is
seriously concerned with election science, one had better be prepared
for preposterous arguments to be treated like preposterous arguments.
Because they will.

The ESF list, however, is a private activity of Clay Shentrup, who
owns it. It was started to support the ESF, true, but it is not the
ESF. The ESF is an unincorporated association at this point; it has
an elected steering committee. It is not responsible for what Clay
Shentrup writes to this list, nor, even, for what I write to this
list, even though I'm a member of the steering committee. What I
write here is my personal opinion, if I am going to write as a
representative of the Foundation, it would be explicit.

This list is an open forum, operating to encourage discussion of
election science, as well as to announce ESF activities. It is not a
501(c)(3) organization and will not become one. ESF, when it
incorporates, will be restricted by the appropriate rules, and will
presumably operate its own official mailing lists.

Mr. Bristow-Johnson, here, fired a parting shot as he was leaving.
With me, privately, he was yesterday accusing me of deliberately
manipulating my email to "get around" an automatic deletion of
anything sent from me to the EM list and thus to him. As if I cared.
And he continued to insist in spite of my informing him that I had
not realized that I was on his killfile. Now that he has mentioned
it, I may have some vague memory; apparently he expects me to
remember what every obsessed participant in these groups has written,
and then organize my activity to "defeat" it. I don't.