[EM] Proposal: Majority Enhanced Approval (MEA)

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed May 12 17:42:12 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Benham

> Forest,
>
> This MEA method you have suggested would nearly always give the
> same winner as
> Smith//Approval (ranking), one of the methods I endorse.
>
> Where they do give different winners, would it be the case that
> the Smith//Approval winner
> is the more approved?  But outside the Uncovered set?

Yes.  So when the Smith consists entirely of uncovered candidates as in the case of a cycle of three, or
a cycle of cycles of three, etc. they are the same.

The main difference is that MEA does the job "seamlessly," as Rob LeGrand wouold say, i.e. the
method doesn't have to say do such and such if there is no Condorcet Winner, and detecting the Smith
set is not some separate step in the procedure.

> What is the most "realistic" example you can give of the two
> methods giving different winners?

I haven't thought about this yet because mostly I think of MEA as a simpler way of implementing
Smith//Approval with a few extra nice properties that are the frosting on the cake.

> A feature of both methods that I am going off is that voters can
> be punished for failing to truncate
> their least preferred of the viable candidates.
>
> 49: A1>A2
> 24: B
> 27: C>B>A1
>
> A1 is uncovered and most approved, so both methods elect A1. But
> the presence of the weakly
> pareto-dominated clone A2 on the ballot caused the C supporters
> to not truncate A1. If they had
> done so then B would have won.

It might be better to have an optional "approval cutoff" that voters can rank if they don't want to truncate
all of the candidates they disapprove of.  I know this takes us ouoside of the standard pairwise matrix,
but as i mentioned before, it seems like a waste to not use the diagonal entries for something, and why
not approval?

Here's another proposal.  Let M be the matrix whose (i,j) element is the number of ballots on which
candidate i is ranked ahead of candidate j.  I think that this is what you mean by the "normal gross
pairwise matrix" that you mention below.

For each candidate i, let d(i) be the difference of the maximum number in column i and the minimum
number in row i.   In other words d(i) is the difference is the maximum number of points scored against
candidate i in a pairwise contest and the minimum number of points that candidate i scored in a pairwise
contest.

Generally speaking, the smaller d(i), the stronger candidate i.

So list the candidates in increasing order of d(i) instead of the order of decreasing approval, and apply
the enhancement as before:

Let D1 be the candidate i with the smallest difference d(i).  Elect D1 if uncovered, else let D2 be the
smallest d(i) candidate among those that cover D1, etc.

This method wastes the diagonal slots of matrix M just like all of the other standard Condorcet
methods.  But I would be interested if you would run it by your standard test cases.