[EM] [ESF #1080] Re: Meta-criteria 3 of 9: Value: expressiveness

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue May 11 09:23:17 PDT 2010

2010/5/11 Andrew Myers <andru at cs.cornell.edu>

> On 7/22/64 2:59 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> >     At 05:00 AM 5/10/2010, Raph Frank wrote:
> >     We do not put effort, most of us, into useless gestures, mere
> >     "expression."
> > Millions of people vote for third parties in any US election. Tens of
> > millions more vote in the "safest" of races, even though they know the
> > result perfectly well before voting. These actions can only be justified
> > as expressive ones.
>
> This is not true. Some voters vote because they think they have a duty as
> citizens to do so.

What is the difference between an election where all good citizens vote, and
one where only the winning side shows up? The result is the same. The
difference is that, in the former case, the losing side has expressed its
preferences, and that this is arguably healthy in a democracy.

In other words, I think that civic duty and expressiveness are mainly
synonymous. But OK, I'll retract my "only", because others might feel
differently, and so they're not quite 100% synonymous.

JQ