[EM] piling on against IRV

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon May 10 21:38:30 PDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 11:57 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:19:45 -0400
>> From: robert bristow-johnson <rbj at audioimagination.com>
>> To: election-methods Methods <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>

>>> False claim. *You* were the person to bring up "Condorcet" above,
>>> not I.
>>
>> i never said otherwise.  misrepresentation of another's words.
>> Strike
>> 1.
>
> Twice (once above) and below these are YOUR words, not mine:

you implied that i was denying that i brought up "Condorcet" or tried
to ascribe the first use of the word to you.  i never denied bringing
up Condorcet, but reminded you that both IRV and TTR have the same
failing to elect the "majority winner" (which *is* your words),
because with the same voter turnout and the voters voting the same,
both will elect the same candidate, and that candidate, whether it's
IRV or TTR may very well not be thge "majority winner".

> Do you really believe you're fooling everyone here, or are you just
> fooling yourself?
>

>> you were the person to continue to complain about IRV failing to
>> elect
>> the "majority winner" while simultaneously claiming that somehow TTR
>> does when both would elect the same candidate under comparable
>> conditions.

>>> False claim. Find *one* TTR election where there was not a majority
>>> winner out of all voters who cast votes in the TTR election.
>>
>> the TTR *together* with the original election (that doesn't have a
>> sufficient majority to resolve the election according to the rules)
>
> Exactly as I said earlier.

no, you were *not* including the original election with the TTR.  i
was responding to this:

On May 10, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> Any wild distortion of what "majority" means to avoid having it simply
> mean a majority out of all voters who cast votes in the contest during
> the election!!  You really do not see a problem with your
> ever-changing creative definitions of the word "majority" do you?

if you're considering *only* the runoff election, with only two
candidates, there is no question, between the two, who is has the
"majority".  but just because there is a "majority winner" in the
runoff (whether it's TTR or IRV) doesn't mean that *THE* majority
winner made it to the runoff.  in that case the runoff gave us *A*
majority winner between two of the losers. whether it's IRV or TTR,
neither will always find the majority winner which is what i said
above when i said "TTR doesn't find the majority winner either.  it's
no better than IRV" to which you immediately responded "False
claim...".  i answered your challenge.

> You are fabricating yet another perversion
> of the meaning of "majority" to mean a majority out of all the voters
> in the PRIOR election rather than the current election!

i am including *both* the original election that has more than 2
candidates and the TTR (*or* the final runoff in IRV) as *one*
election because that is what it is.  the runoff, whether it is
instant or delayed, is a continuation of the election that began on
Election Day.  you continue to claim that the candidate elected in the
runoff of a TTR *must* be *the* "majority winner" but if the same
candidate was elected in the final runoff of IRV (which would happen
if the same voters voted the same way in both) somehow cannot be the
"majority" winner.  and you seem to cling to that even if it's the
same candidate elected in both cases.

> Between you and Terry,

i'm not Terry.  Terry and i don't agree too much on the value of IRV,
even if we agree on the mechanics.

> how many clever perversions of the term "majority"

the perversion of "majority winner" i have is the unambiguous majority
winner that beats every other candidate with a majority of votes when
the voters are asked to choose between the two (that is the Condorcet
winner).  i have been consistently trying to steer clear of a notion
of "majority winner" for some candidate how beats *one* other
candidate with a majority because only that particular runoff was
considered.  TTR and IRV both consider only one final runoff between a
pair of candidates that are selected by their own flawed methods.
both you and the IRV proponents like to call the winner of your runoff
*the* "majority winner", but neither you nor the IRV proponents want
to consider that the unambiguous majority winner might not make it to
that single runoff given the rules of TTR or IRV.  Condorcet considers
*every* conceivable runoff pair.  TTR and IRV consider only one
particular runoff pair and are oblivious to the problem that it might
be the wrong pair.

> do you think you've invented to try to fool people into
> thinking that IRV/STV finds majority winners

alright.  that's it.  you've misrepresented me for the last time.  the
last time that i will read anyway, Kathy.

you know, as well as everyone here, that i do not say, nor ever said,
that IRV consistently finds the majority winner (sometimes it does,
when it happens to elect the Condorcet winner).  you know, as well as
everyone else here that i am a sharp critic of IRV.

Abd apparently tried to circumvent my kill-filing of his overly
verbose EM posts by emailing directly to me his last one (i think it
was his last one, since any others were deleted upon reception).  i
want to be open to receiving a regular email from him or you.  but as
far as my "franchise" with the election-methods list, you have joined
Abd by being kicked off of it.  and if either of you try to circumvent
that by emailing me an EM post directly (without "election-methods at lists.electorama.com
" as any recipient), then i will consider that abuse and killfile all
email from your address.

you're abusive and dishonest, Kathy.  something i would have hoped you
would have outgrown 5 decades ago.  such a shame and undignified for a
woman of your age.

it might be interesting to read how many others have killfiled your
posts.  because i surely don't see anyone else responding (and i
wouldn't know if Abd is or not).

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com