[EM] Meta-criteria 6 of 9: Heuristics. #1, simplicity

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon May 10 20:27:53 PDT 2010

Hi Juho,

--- En date de : Lun 10.5.10, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> What do you mean with autofill? Maybe to randomly generate
> full rankings. I think that voters should be encouraged to
> indicate all opinions that they may have, but allowing equal
> rankings (and not voting at all) is ok as well.

Randomly seems unnecessary (basically the same as truncation as it
presently works). I was thinking more like IRV in Australia where perhaps
a candidate says in advance what his personal ranking would be, and
voters could copy that. Although that could be a real mess if an
important candidate decided his vote would (appear to) use a burial
strategy.

> > But in general, in itself, truncating the worse of
> two
> > frontrunners doesn't hurt anything.
>
> One counterexample. Left wing has one moderate candidate
> and one extreme candidate. The extreme candidate has more
> first place support. If right wing voters truncate the
> moderate candidate (frontrunner together with the moderate
> candidate of the right wing in sincere opinions) and left
> wing has majority then the extreme left wing candidate may
> win.

Yes, that could be a problem. One quite difficult to fix though.

Kevin Venzke