[EM] Proposal: Majority Enhanced Approval (MEA)

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat May 8 16:34:23 PDT 2010

Juho,

Thanks for your interest and input.

Having an approval cutoff to rank just like the candidates is a good idea.  On ballots where the cutoff is
ignored (i.e. truncated) then all ranked candidates are ranked above the cutoff.

In general, I don't think that voters will truncate a decent Condorcet candidate, since voters will tend to rank
the lesser evil last and truncate the greater evil when they think no really good candidate has a decent
chance of winning.

Now, changing the subject slightly, remember DMC?   In that method if the second place approval candidate
beat the approval winner pairwise, then that was enough to keep the approval winner from being elected.  In
MEA tha's not enough, but if the second place approval candidate covers the approval winner, that is enough
to keep the approval winner from being elected.  So MEA takes approval somewhat more seriously than
DMC.

Forest