[EM] Meta-criteria 9 of 9: Conclusion

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 7 13:17:56 PDT 2010

On May 7, 2010, at 7:26 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> On May 7, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>
>> --- En date de : Ven 7.5.10, Jameson Quinn
>> <jameson.quinn at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> Thanks for your response. You have some interesting points about
>> utility not necessarily being summed.
>
> well, *some* sense of utility must be summed if all voters are to be
> treated equally and interchangeably.

Often the solution is to simplify things so that the strength of every
opinion in counted as 1. That means that the strengths of individual
utilities/preferences are ignored but as a result of this
simplification all the individual voter opinions are equal in
strength, worth one vote. As a result voting methods will be fair (all
treated equally) and more strategy free although one fails to measure
the strength of the feelings of different individuals.

Juho