[EM] piling on against IRV (was ... Czech Green party - Council elections)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu May 6 14:33:42 PDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> Letting loose can be very difficult - but many of us are urging
> FairVote to swallow the bitter pill.
>
> I manned phones, made donations to FairVote, and voted, to help pass
> IRV in San Francisco. And I now, personally, think that IRV is
> considerably worse than most systems besides plurality and Borda -
> including Range, Bucklin, Approval, and a wide variety of Condorcet
> systems.
>
> But I'm not asking FairVote to "swallow the bitter pill". I think
> you have every right to continue promoting IRV, if that's what you
> believe in.

Having a visible invalid belief raises continued suspicion as to the
quality of one's other beliefs - FairVote, to recover, really needs to
recognize and admit to IRV's problems.  I offer a sample race -
possible though an unlikely extreme.  I use "?" for ballot content
where details do not matter:
      2 A>?
      9 B>A>?
      9 C>A>?
      9 D>A>?
1/3 like best B or C or D. For each of those 1/3s, 2/3 like A better
than that one.  That A does not get elected is due to IRV counting
never counting the As that are voted in second place.

> I'm just asking you what I've always asked, since the time when I
> still counted myself as one of your strongest supporters: that you
> be honest and open about it. That means 3 things:
>
> 1. Don't denigrate other solutions to problems you acknowledge. In
> fact, I think you should support them. That means that whenever
> comparing IRV to another reform proposal, make it clear from the
> outset that the other proposal is superior to plurality (except in
> the very rare cases where it isn't).
> 2. Don't lie about the benefits of IRV. For instance, unless full
> ranking is mandatory, IRV does not guarantee a majority. You could
> say instead that it "does a better job of getting a majority" than
> plurality, or whatever.

Here I choke.  A candidate ranked only because of some demand such as
full ranking is not truly a vote by the voter, and should not be
counted as if it was.  Think of a voter "approving" all candidates in
Approval - that voter has done nothing to favor any one of the
candidates.

"Majority" needs careful thought as to its purpose and meaning.  If
truly the largest group of voters is only 40%, we need thought as to
what is doable and what that means.

Dave Ketchum