[EM] piling on against IRV

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu May 6 14:36:01 PDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> I manned phones, made donations to FairVote, and voted, to help pass
> IRV in San Francisco.

i cannot claim to have done all that.  all's i can say is that i voted
for IRV in 2005 (expecting that it would likely elect the CW, so what
the heck) and voted to retain it in 2010 (hoping that, with the ranked
ballot saved, we could reform the tabulation method and make some good
history).

> 1. Don't denigrate other solutions to problems you acknowledge. In
> fact, I think you should support them. That means that whenever
> comparing IRV to another reform proposal, make it clear from the
> outset that the other proposal is superior to plurality (except in
> the very rare cases where it isn't).

i think they mostly claim that any other method has no track record in
governmental elections and have an ice cube's chance in hell of being
adopted.  i continue to ask "what if it was Condorcet that was
promoted instead of IRV from the very beginning?"  in order to
accomplish something, you have to begin.

> 2. Don't lie about the benefits of IRV. For instance, unless full
> ranking is mandatory, IRV does not guarantee a majority.

it doesn't even do that with full ranking.  we had full ranking (5
candidates and 5 levels of ranking) in Burlington yet a candidate was
elected with IRV when there was a clear majority of voters that had
marked their ballots that another specific candidate was preferred.
that limited ranking (i hear in SF you had dozens of candidates and 3
levels of ranking) is a problem, but not the sole cause of the
thwarted majority pathology.

> You could say instead that it "does a better job of getting a
> majority" than plurality, or whatever.

yeah, it does a better job than FPTP.

> 3. Be open to dialogue with other voting reformers. For instance,
> don't turn off comments on all your blogs and HuffPost pieces, and
> don't moderate out relevant but critical posts on the instantrunoff
> mailing list. I know that it hurts, because there are definitely
> people with much more of an animus against IRV than I have, but the
> problems in running away from dialogue are worse.

couldn't agree more.  Rob (i'll bet he's reading this), it was your
denial and avoidance that has soured my alliance with FairVote's
mission more than anything.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com