[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Wed May 5 03:36:48 PDT 2010

Dear Juho,

You wrote (5 May 2010):

> In the description of Markus Schulze there were two steps
> where the male/female proportionality was handled. That
> approach works if there are separate requirements for the set
> of three first (vice)presidents and the rest of the council
> members. My understanding is that in the Czech Green Party
> there are no such requirements on the presidents. In that
> situation it may be better to push the forced male/female
> election to the end of the list.

I prefer my proposal because of two reasons.

First: In my proposal, the fourth and the fifth candidate reduce
the distortion of proportionality that might be caused by the
specific choice of the third candidate. The seventh candidate
reduces the distortion of proportionality that might be
caused by the specific choice of the sixth candidate. In your
proposal, there are no candidates who reduce the distortion of
proportionality that might be caused by the gender requirements.

Second: I formulated by proposal in such a manner that it can
also be used to create party lists. Here, the gender requirements
say that, for every possible number M, at least M of the first
3*M places must be filled by male candidates and at least M of
the first 3*M places must be filled by female candidates.

Markus Schulze