[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:01:14 PDT 2010

Peter:

Both RBV and SRBV are "elect-and-discount" methods which have the ability
(unlike STV) to "discount" candidates in any order using the normal
procedure. That means that they could be used in a "top-down" system without
sacrificing proportionality.

I would therefore recommend the following procedure:
1. Use Bucklin voting to elect the president (specifics described below)
2. Calculate the droop quota for the P+VP set. (For 2 VPs and 1 P, that
would be 1/4 of the votes).
3. Discount the president (and their faction) by a Droop quota, then
continue with RBV to elect the VPs proportionally.
4. Now, recalculate the Droop quota for the whole council.
5. Start again with all ballots un-discounted. As in step 3, discount the P
and VPs by the (new) Droop quota, and then continue to elect the council
proportionally using RBV.

Again, this procedure is both fully top-down and, as far as possible,
proportional. It uses one set of ballots for the whole election, and the
ballots are easier to vote than the nearly-full-ranking needed by STV or
Schulze. The procedure is essentially the same throughout.

Here's an intuitive description of the RBV process. Since this description
works with whole ballots instead of fractional ballots, it could potentially
give a different result; however, with a large electorate, that probability
is asymptotically small. To get the real RBV process, replace each instance
of "randomly pick N of M" with "proportionally adjust all M by N/M"
(Similarly, SRBV could have yet another result, but that probability
vanishes with enough voters too.)

Voters vote into three simple categories: preferred, approved, and
unapproved. (They could also be asked to give 0-100 ratings, which are NOT
USED by the system and are simply useful for analysis - to see who would
have won under other systems. Preferred candidates would default to 100,
approved ones to 75, and unapproved to 0.)

Any group of candidates could mutually agree to run as a "slate". No two
slates could overlap unless one contained the other completely. This is
purely for the convenience of voters, who could approve (or prefer or
disapprove) of an entire slate with a single mark. Any candidate explicitly
marked at a different level would be exempt from this "blanket slate"
ranking. There would be no practical difference between a ballot which
approved of a slate and one which approved of all the candidates in that
slate individually.

A typical ballot would approve one or more slates, then single out one or
more candidates and/or subslates from those slates for preference or
disapproval.

Initially, all ballots would be counted only for candidates they preferred.
If any candidates have more than a Droop quota, then elect the one with the
most votes, and randomly pick a droop quota of their ballots to throw away.
Repeat until nobody has a Droop quota. Then, take one ballot at a time, and
count the approvals as well as the preferences on that ballot. As soon as
you get a Droop quota, elect that candidate, and throw away the Droop quota
(all ballots) currently counting for that candidate (that is, including all
preferences and some approvals). Repeat until done.

Let's consider the following simple example, electing a president and a
2-member council.
2 votes: prefer A, approve B, disapprove CDE
1 vote: prefer BD, approve A, disapprove CE
1 vote: prefer C, approve DE, disapprove AB
1 vote: prefer E, approve CD, disapprove AB
Initial preference-only totals are: A=2, B=1, C=1, D=1, E=1

In the example, considered as a single-winner case, chances are that the 1
B/D vote would be "expanded" before both of the A votes or both the C and E
votes, so the likely winner is the Condorcet winner B. With true, fractional
RBV or with SRBV, B would be the definite winner.

With B as president, expanding to a 2-member council would choose C
(probably, with the simplified single-ballot version; definitely, with the
true fractional version or with SRBV).

Both RBV and SRBV are monotonic, proportional, and cloneproof - not
probably, but definitely. Both tend to elect the Condorcet winner, but that
part is probabilistic; neither meets the strict Condorcet criterion.

This message is not intended to be a full description of either voting
system; it's just a taste. I will provide a full description and prove the
claimed criteria and probabilistic criteria later. Note that my current
version of SRBV is summable with O(N**2), though the actual matrix is up to
a constant 6 times bigger than a simple N**2 (one and a half
double-matrices; it would be up to 13.5 times bigger for 3-rank Bucklin).

For dealing with the gender quotas, the 3rd, 6th, etc. candidates could be
gender-restricted. This might involve "opening out" more (fractional)
ballots than otherwise necessary, to consider approvals as well as
preferences. Any excess ballots not used up in electing that candidate would
be "closed down" again, to be reopened gradually, so that the 4th, 7th, etc.
candidates would win with an exact Droop quota (unless there were that many
winners with Droop quotas of pure preferences).
JQ

ps. I believe that mine is the first true top-down, proportional proposal.
However, I still regard the other proposals which have been given as more
than adequate if for some reason mine is not acceptable.