[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Tue May 4 05:19:23 PDT 2010

Dear Juho,

just some words to avoid misunderstandings.
I still would like to be able to propose an alternative method, which elects
the council first and then the P and VPs, even though the condorcet winner
is not in there (marked as the "optimal" method (28.4.2010)).
I guess this is what Schulze calls the bottom-up approach.
The top-down approach has the problem of sacrificing proportionality and the
bottom-up approach has the problem of sometimes not electing the president.
Considering the fact that the current election system of the greens is
closer to top-down than bottom-up, a top-down system seems to be more likely
to pass.
Both approaches seem to be appealing.

James Gilmour (4.5.2010) showed an example of a bottom-up method using STV.

Best regards
Peter Zborník