[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon May 3 13:16:38 PDT 2010

Peter Zbornik wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am sending a post scriptum to the email below.
>
> 1. The conservative method is only interesting if, the unambiguously
> pre-elected president and vice president(s) are not in the set of
> proportionally (for instance STV) elected council members.
> 2. If the unambiguously elected president and vice president(s) is in
> the set of proportionally (for instance STV) elected council members,
> then I guess the conservative method would include the "optimal" method
> as a special case (the optimal method was where the president and vice
> presidents are elected from the proportionally elected council members).
> 3. The number of pre-elected vice presidents in point 1 above can be
> zero. The president is always unambiguously pre-elected.
>
> 4. For completeness, I would like to add one additional requirement,
> which I think can be resolved after the seletion of a good voting procedure.
> Requirement: The selected council must contain at least X members of
> each sex (gender-equality rule). X is specified before each election.
> This gender rule is used in our organization today.

A simple way of doing this, if the council size (after president and VPs
have been elected) is even, is to have two elections, each of a council
size equal to half the assembly. Then, for the first, only elect women,
and for the second, only elect men. Use the same ballots, but remove
candidates of the sex you don't want.

Methods like Schulze STV work by comparing possible councils to
determine which are best. Thus, it may be possible to limit them to only
consider "balanced" councils. I'm not sure how to do this in ordinary
STV, however, since it doesn't work that way, and in any case, this
would be untested.