[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Greenparty - Council elections

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Mon May 3 06:50:18 PDT 2010

Peter Zbornik  > Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 12:07 PM
> > On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Markus Schulze
> > If I understand Peter Zbornik correctly, then he
> > wants a ranking of the members of the council, so
> > that it is clear who the 2nd vice president, the
> 3rd vice president, the 4th vice president, etc., is.

> Markus Schulze understands me correctly.

If your party wants to elect a council that fairly (proportionately) represents the wishes of those party members who vote in its
election, I would recommend that you use STV-PR for this purpose.  Which version of STV-PR counting rules you use will make little
difference to the outcome compared to the differences between using any version of STV-PR and using other voting systems.

If your party then wants to identify from WITHIN that representative Council, a President (chair-person) and two or more
Vice-Presidents, you should NOT use the order of election in the first STV-PR election for that purpose.  Instead, you should
conduct a series of STV-PR counts, using the same ballots, for diminishing numbers of places to produce a reverse-ordered list from
among those already elected to the Council.  The "top positions" can then be filled by those Council members who emerge as winners
in the successive elections, for one place, for two places, etc.  This procedure is described here:
  http://www.cix.co.uk/~rosenstiel/stv/orderstv.htm
This approach will maintain the overall balance of the Council as determined by the members who vote and identify those elected
members who should take the "top posts".

STV-PR has been used in this way by several different political parties in the UK when they are required to produce ordered lists of
candidates for closed-list party-list PR elections.  NB.  I do NOT recommend anyone to adopt closed-list party-list PR voting
systems for any elections (public or private), but such ordered-list voting systems have been imposed on us by UK governments and so
the parties must produce the ordered lists if they wish to participate in these elections.

James Gilmour