[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 3 05:43:18 PDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Peter Zbornik wrote:

> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Markus Schulze <markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
> > wrote:
> Dear Raph Frank,
>
> you wrote (3 May 2010):
>
> > For the rest of the council, I think electing
> > them using Schulze-STV with the restriction
> > that only results where the President and VP
> > are members are allowed would give better
> > proportionality.
>
> If I understand Peter Zbornik correctly, then he
> wants a ranking of the members of the council, so
> that it is clear who the 2nd vice president, the
> 3rd vice president, the 4th vice president, etc.,
> is.
> Markus Schulze understands me correctly.

I understood that the VPs should be ranked but that there is no such
requirement for the rest of the council. Or are all members of the
council considered to be numbered VPs?

The use of some proportional ranking method indeed distorts
proportionality a bit. But I proposed to study also this "one method
only" approach (as an alternative to best possible optimization of the
proportionality of the council) since the resulting method would be
simple and the distortion that it causes could be smaller than its
benefits.

Juho