[EM] meditations

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue May 25 19:52:50 PDT 2010

An alternative X Pareto Dominates alternative Y if Y is not ranked over X on any ballot and X is ranked
over Y on at least one ballot.

Obviously there can be no Pareto domination cycle.

Furthermore, if ballots are Range style, admitting k distinct ratings, then no Pareto domination beatpath
can be longer than  k  times the number of ballots, no matter how many alternatives there are.

Now consider the case when k = 2, i.e. approval ballots.  In this case even without Pareto domination
there can be no beatpath cycle, and the length of a beatpath is also limited by the number of ballots
irrespective of the number of candidates.

Can we make similar statements for other values of k?

It’s obvious, for example, that when k=3 or when there are only three candidates there can be no beat
cycle of wv strength greater than two thirds of the number of ballots.

But I think we can say more than that.  But first we need a definition.

Definition:  Alternative X beats alternative Y by a margin ratio of x to y if the number of ballots on which X
is ranked above Y divided by the number of ballots on which Y is ranked above X is greater than x/y.

Conjecture 1:  If there are just k levels, then there can be no beat cycle where all the margin ratios are
greater than  (k-1) to 1.

Conjecture 2:  If there are just k levels, then no matter how many alternatives, there is a bound on the
length of a beatpath with margin ratios greater than (k-1) to 1, and this bound is (approximately) k times
the number of ballots.

Note that the Pareto results above correspond to the case of k=infinity, since the margin ratios are
infinite in a Pareto defeat, and that the approval results correspond to the case of k=2.

[If these conjectures are not true, let’s find the appropriate generalization of the k=2 and k=infinity cases.]

How can we use them?

One way is a generalization of Bucklin:

If there are k alternatives, first eliminate any candidates that are defeated by (k-1) to 1 margins.  If none
are so defeated, collapse one of the levels as in Bucklin, and then eliminate all of the candidates that are
defeated by a (k-2) to 1 margin.  Keep going until you get down to two candidates or two levels, and
eliminate all of the candidates that are defeated by a 1 to 1 margin.  Elect the remaining candidate.

A variation on this uses ballots with ranked preference strengths.  Then instead of collapsing from the
top down (as in Bucklin) when no candidate is eliminated , we collapse the weakest strength remaining
preference on each ballot.

A voted ranked preference strength ballot looks like