[EM] Satisfaction Approval Voting - A Better Proportional Representation Electoral Method

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed May 19 12:49:09 PDT 2010

No one on this list seemed to find the time to look up this reference
to a better additive proportional representation system using approval
ballots that I pointed out to this list a couple of months ago, so I
took some time today to post it and point to its URL.  Hopefully its
authors will not mind my putting a copy of it on my
electionmathematics.org web site.

"Satisfaction Approval Voting" is a new proportional representation
approval voting method, devised by political scientist Steven J.
Brams, Department of Politics, New York University and D. Marc
Kilgour, Department of Mathematics, Wilfrid Laurier University.

Unlike instant runoff voting, Satisfaction Approval Voting (SAV) can
use existing ballot layouts, is precinct-summable (additive), and
treats all voters equally and fairly. This paper on Satisfaction
Approval Voting was presented at the January 2010 Midwest Political
Science Association Conference (I was unable to attend the particular
panel myself but met the two authors briefly while there.)

http://conference.mpsanet.org/Online/Sections.aspx?section=24&session=16

http://electionmathematics.org/em-IRV/SatisfactApprovalVoting-BramsKilgour.pdf

Hopefully, I will find time sometime this summer to explain this
method in a simple way that everyone can understand in case the
authors' paper is difficult for some to read.

Cheers,

Kathy Dopp