[EM] direct / proxy voting paper, now online -- requesting comments

James Green-Armytage jgreen1 at antioch.edu
Wed May 12 04:14:11 PDT 2010

Dear election methods fans,

I just wanted to let you know that I've finished the first draft of my
direct / proxy democracy paper, and posted it online at
http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/vm/proxy2010.pdf

I'd really appreciate any feedback that you have time to give.

At this point, I'm rather unsatisfied with the part of the lit review that
talks about the proxy work that has been done outside the realm of
academic journals, and I'm hoping that a few of you might be able to help
with that. It's pretty short, which is fine, I'd like it to at least be
correct and a fairly good representation of what's been happening, albeit
in miniature. It's at the end of section 2, and in the current draft it's
on page 6. Abd, I'd still like to mention your work in here, if you can
give me something to cite. I'd like to say something about 'Liquid
Democracy', but I haven't been able to find anything that I can really
cite for that either. I'm on the fence about the Pivato paper. Also, I
think that I'm garbling the stuff about proxy software... I don't really
know if there's a difference between Votorola and Adhocracy, in part
because some of the web sites that mention them (like those at liqd.net)
are in German. (?) Plus I'm not quite sure that I've got the Demoex stuff
quite right, since that stuff is in Swedish. Argh. Help?

my best,
James Green-Armytage

P.S. I still don't have a title, so I'm open to suggestions on that. I use
the term 'voluntary representation' a lot, which I think gets to a key
conceptual point, but I'm not quite sure that it works 100%.