[EM] Fwd: Proportionality proof of Schulze proportional ranking

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu May 6 02:53:02 PDT 2010

Dear Warren,

for the top-down approach to create a party list,
I would define "proportionality" as follows:

   Suppose place 1 to (n-1) have already been
   filled. Suppose A(i) (with i = 1,...,(n-1))
   is the candidate of place i.

   Suppose we want to fill the n-th place.

   Suppose it is possible to find a candidate B
   such that the set {A(1),...,A(n-1),B} satisfies
   Droop proportionality for n seats.

   Then the n-th seat goes to a candidate B
   such that the set {A(1),...,A(n-1),B} satisfies
   Droop proportionality for n seats.

Markus Schulze