[EM] WMA (It's not monotonic or participation compliant, after all)

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon May 3 16:06:48 PDT 2010

Kevin and Chris,

You’re both right, my “proof” only showed that raising the winner W could not hurt her prospects on
ballots where she was already approved or on ballots where she was rated at the highest currently
unapproved level.  But , as Kevin pointed out, if there were candidates at two or more levels above W,
and not all of these levels were above the current cutoff, the cut off could lower without lowering all of the
way down to W.

Back to the drawing board.  I’m starting to think that it may be impossible to have any kind of
monotonic, non-trivial DSV method for automatically choosing approval cutoffs.

Forest