[EM] Condorcet How?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 08:42:13 PDT 2010

robert bristow-johnson  wrote:
> It seems that what Fairvote want is PR-STV.
>
> The hope is presumably, that if they can get voters used to
> ranked ballots and eliminations with IRV, they can then argue
> that moving onto PR-STV is just changing to the multiseat
> version of IRV.

Surely a major factor in determining the strategy for any campaign to reform voting systems in the USA must be the large number of
single-office single-winner elections you have?  This must make any US campaign more complex than the similar campaigns in the UK.
In turn, the campaign strategy will be more complex.

Until England decided to have a few (VERY few!!) directly elected city mayors, we had NO single-office single-winner public
elections.  This is why, since 1894, our focus has always been on PR.  That simple focus on one objective makes campaigning simpler
and make devising campaign strategy simpler.  The prime PR target has yet to be achieved (UK Parliament at Westminster), but every
other voting system reform in the UK during the past 15 years has been to introduce a PR voting system of one kind or another for
various "representative assemblies" at different levels of government.

James