[EM] Condorcet How?

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Tue Mar 23 06:01:19 PDT 2010

Robert,

Two corrections...Bills to use IRV for certain statewide elections have
been introduced in Vermont in every session since 1998, and it was passed
by the Vermont House and Senate a few  years ago. It would require IRV for
U.S. House and Senate elections. That bill, however was vetoed by the
Republican governor.

The Secretary of State planned to conduct the statewide IRV tally (if the
initial first choice totals showed no majority winner), by having the
sheriffs transport the sealed ballot bags to regional count centers, and
having the IRV tally done by hand. Since the bill, as passed, actually
used a top-two contingent system (only the top two initial candidates
would advance), the tally would be relatively easy.

Terry