[EM] Proportional Representation Systems I'd Support

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 17:08:04 PDT 2010

Kristofer Munsterhjelm  > Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:24 PM
> I think your more complex party list PR (with cross endorsement) could
> work while still passing all three criteria. It's certainly summable and
> proportional, so the only difficulty would be in making it monotone.
> Simply distributing excess turns it STV-like. Perhaps something similar
> to my divisor trick could be used, but I'm not sure how.

This principle is well-known in electoral science where it described by the French term "apparentenement".  It has been used in
party-list PR voting systems at different times in France, Italy and Switzerland.  In France and Italy the "apparentenement" was
determined by the parties.  In the (much) more complicated Swiss system, the "apparentenement" is determined by each individual
voter.

The allocation of seats to parties is determined by applying either the d'Hondt formula or the Sainte-Laguë formula to the votes,
summed over the "apparentenement" partner-parties as necessary.

James Gilmour