[EM] Condorcet How?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 22 03:17:13 PDT 2010

Hallo,

here are some interesting videos on IRV in Burlington:

http://www.cctv.org/watch-tv/programs/instant-runoff-voting-interviews
http://www.cctv.org/watch-tv/programs/irv-or-down-instant-runoff-voting-debate

I have the impression that there was no reasonable
debate on IRV. Most anti-IRV arguments were
ridiculous or simply false. The anti-IRV campaign
was a pure anti-Kiss campaign.

> in fact, if the election was decided with Condorcet
> rules (doesn't matter which, since there was no cycle),
> these same Republicans would have bitched all the more,
> since the Condorcet candidate had only 23% and came
> third in plurality.  so the primary political motivation
> behind the repeal was not due to that the Condorcet
> winner was not elected.

I agree that the Republicans would also have attacked
Condorcet. But as Montroll was preferred to Wright with
56% against 44%, an anti-Condorcet/anti-Montroll campaign
wouldn't have been successful.

Markus Schulze