[EM] Condorcet How?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sun Mar 21 02:02:21 PDT 2010

Markus Schulze wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> of course, I am leaning towards the Schulze method.
> This method is by far the most wide-spread Condorcet
> method. It is used by about 50 organizations with
> about 100,000 eligible members in total. It has also
> become very popular among scientists:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method
> http://books.google.com/books?id=dccBaphP1G4C&pg=PA37
> http://books.google.com/books?id=CMLL9sVGLb8C&pg=PA119
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd148646.aspx
>
> Here are the proposed statutory rules:
>
> http://m-schulze.webhop.net/propstat.pdf

Schulze's advantage is that it's actually being used and that it
provides good results (by the Minmax standard). Ranked Pairs's (or
MAM's, rather) is that it's easy to explain.

The question is: which of these qualities are more important, were we to
encourage the use of a Condorcet method in real (governmental) elections?